A journey to discover the people who change our world.

Monday, June 05, 2006

They are not all out to get you!

When travelling, naturally you are more aware of your surroundings. Your senses are heightened, you are surrounded with new stimuli and new scenes. Not knowing what is next, there is a natural reaction to protect and guard. It is default territory. But once you are in a place- just even a little while- once you have your bearings, it is easier to open up and amazing things can happen as a result; a conversation, a smile, a new opportunity, a shared meal, a new view.. it is in open mode when the magic happens.

The magic has happened a few times over the last few days- in various ways. Firstly, in Eldoret, I was in an internet café for about an hour and a half. When I went to pay, routing for some change, the owner turned and said that she would like to give me a discount, since she appreciated the business, and would like me to return. I told her she was a shrewd business woman, and sure enough, I returned.

Then a huge surprise. On my way to Eldoret, I had lost my wallet. When I boarded the bus to go to Kampala, a man tipped me on the shoulder, and handed me my wallet, money intact!

This is not meant is happen in these parts- or at least that is what we are led to believe. But my perspectives, my worries and concerns have been shifting and repositioning with each new encounter. I have had chance conversations which strangers who tell me about their lives, I have been invited into peoples homes, I have joked and laughed. I am learning to be less clumsy with my things, but also to trust, more and more, and allow the magic to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home